Here are some lists of brainstormed ideas for science projects.
Remember, the best project is one that interests you and builds on what others
have done. Use these ideas to stimulate your imagination and create ideas
of your own. Add to or improve one of these ideas, or come up with your
These project ideas are simple. You
would hopefully develop it more fully. For examples of completed projects,
check out these Sample Projects.
Ideas for projects using plants:
- What effects do pollution have on plants? Try smoke, or oil, or?
- What effects do pollution have on water plants? Try detergents,
- What effects do bacteria have on plants?
- What effects do car emissions have on plants?
- What effects do different light spectrums have on plants?
- What effects do the colors of light have on plants?
- Can you graft plants onto different rootstocks?
- Which light spectrums do plants prefer?
- Do roots of a plant always grow downward?
- Can plants grow without soil?
- What effect does temperature have on fruit ripening?
- What effect do gases given off by apples have on banannas?
- Does temperature affect the growth of plants?
- Does humidity affect the growth of plants?
- How does light intensity affect the growth of plants?
- Does seed size predict the size of the plant?
- What parts of a plant can propagate new plants?
- Does sugar added to the water affect plant growth?
- Does sugar added to the water affect cut flowers?
- How much of my favorite fruit is actually water?
- How much oxygen does a green plant add to its environment?
- Does a plant need periods of darkness to grow?
- How many hours of light a day is optimum for a plant?
- What is the effect of clorinated water on plants?
- What effect does soil type have on plant growth?
- Do different varieties of the same fruit have the same amount of vitamin
- Do fresh, frozen, and canned orange juice have the same amount of Vitamin
- Does acid rain affect seen germination?
- Does a magnetic field affect plant growth?
- Do plants grow more during the day or night?
Ideas for projects using animals:
Read through the plants questions and substitute your animal.
Remember do not do anything that might be cruel or harmful to your pets in any
- Can dogs (cats, hampsters...) see colors?
- Do dogs... taste the same flavors that we do?
- What are dogs favorite tv shows? (mine turns the channel to animal planet)
- Do ants have flavor preferences?
- What food does my animal prefer?
- Do ants like sugar substitutes?
- How much food does a caterpillar eat in one day?
- Do worms react to light and dark?
- What senses do worms have?
- How are our senses affected when blindfolded?
- Does a magnetic field affect behavior in mice or gerbils?
- How does caffeine affect animal behavior?
- How does caffeine affect animal heart rates?
- How does caffeine affect fish respiration rates?
- How does music affect learning and memory?
- how do animals affect peoples blood pressure?
- Which study techniques yield the best results?
Physical Science Projects:
- How does wing shape affect the flight of a paper airplane?
- How do wheels affect friction?
- How does a lever affect the force to work ratio?
- Apply #3 to any simple machine.
- Does the weight or shape of an object affect the rate it rolls downhill?
- How do disolved solids affect the physical properties of water?
- Does soil color affect the rate at which it heats or cools?
- What happens to the temperature of a water/ice mixture as it melts?
- How could you alter a basketball to make it bounce higher?
- What is the pH of common household fluids?
- How fast do inks fade in sunlight? What effect do fixatives have?
Earth Science Projects:
- How does ice affect weathering in rocks?
- What are the wind flow patterns in my area?
Environmental, Conservation and Energy Projects:
- Which materials are the best insulators?
- How does a nuclear reactor work?
- How does solar energy work?
- How much energy can be generated with wind energy?
- How does geothermal energy work?
- Does a bath take less water than a shower?
- How does a drop of food coloring migrate through still water?
- Is the migration of food coloring through still water affected by
- Which materials conduct heat better?
- How fast does the temperature rise in a closed automobile?
- Does the color of water affect its energy absorption?
- Does the color of water affect its evaporation rate?
- Do dissolved solids affect the energy absorption of water?
- Do dissolved solids affect the evaporation rates of water?
- What factors affect the erosion of my area?
- How can water be purified?
- Are there bacteria in my tap water?
- What types of tests are performed on my water?
- Are antibacterial soaps more effective at cleaning than regular soaps?
- Which cleaners kill bacteria most effectively?
These are very popular experiments because the supplies are readily available
and the results are meaningful in our lives. If you choose one of these
projects, be careful to do a good job presenting your project to distinguish it
from the crowd.
- Which paper towel is the strongest?
- Which dish soap makes the most suds?
- Does suds generation affect the cleaning power of soap?
- Which type of battery runs the toy longest?
- Are different types of batteries better for different types of toys?
- Which laundry detergents work best on different types of stains?
- Which diaper keeps baby drier?
- Which trash bags are the strongest?
- How can I keep dogs from getting into the trash?
- Which videotape or cassette performs the best after repeated use?
- How sensitive is my home smoke detector?
- How can I increase the energy efficency of my home?